Saturday, 5 November 2011

Sculpting Afro-textured Hair by Mark Newman

This tutorial was originally posted by Mark Newman on the Clubhouse Sculptors Forum. Demonstrating his technique for sculpting afro-textured hair, in this example with Super Sculpey.


You can see more of Mark's masterful work here

All photos and words Mark Newman...


These are the basic tools I use for this. A few ball end tools different sizes and a tool I made out of steel wires bunched together and soldered into a piece of brass square tude. Basically it's a small steel wire brush.




I just smash on the hair form and push it around with the different size ball tools. 
Then I stipple in the tighter texture with the wire brush tool.
I go back and forth with the ball tools and wire brush tool depending on how tight I want the final hair texture. From Jerry Curl to Nappy and in between. 






I then lightly brush it down with Turpenoid and a soft brush to knock out the hard edges. 
I then lightly stipple the surface with a stippling brush.
Especially if I want the tight kinky look.
That's about it. You can make it as tight or as loose as you want.




5 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie, great idea. Thank you for sharing, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat, my pleasure. I always really liked this tutorial. Mark makes it look so easy and the end result is very effective. The man's a sculptural genius!
    Take care,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. your product awesome and excellent work of solder wire. i become your fan http://www.ansolsolder.co/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your your work and this is my favorite I have no idea why it just call to Me and I was wondering if you could recreat this cafe I would really love to try and make this face I just love it do much and it would be awsome if I did get to see just in general how to make a face very similar to this thank you for taking your time to read my comet

    ReplyDelete